Welcome to our blog! We are excited to share our stories with you as we adventure in Taiwan. So, here's how it works: any post with an N: in the title is a post by Nicole and a post with a K: is a post by Kaitlyn.

We miss you all! Happy reading!

Monday, January 7, 2013

K: My First, and at The Rate I'm Going, Possibly Last Post!


So, as everyone reading this blog is most likely aware, Nicole Elizabeth Seiley happens to be the greatest best friend of all-time! This blog was entirely created by Nicole and, until now, has only been exposed to only HER wondrous writing abilities. However, at Miss Nicole's urging (that's what our kindergarten class calls her... well, that is what they are supposed to call her, but we are still working on the whole teaching them English thing), I will take a few minutes and tell a little about Nicole's and my experiences here in Taiwan.

Well actually, let's begin with the two hour flight I had from Utah to San Francisco. Nicole, again being the sort of friend others dream of having, knew it was my second time flying, the first being when I flew to Sandiego TWELVE years ago! Yes, Taiwan was the first time I had flown since I was eight. Anyhow, as always, I was panicking and over-thinking everything, so Nicole made me thirteen, yes thirteen, different recordings of step-by-step instructions on how to do everything (like check-in, baggage, and even what to do once I landed in Taiwan), not to mention some random recordings of her reading hilarious stories off the internet, from her journal of our years at school together, and a novel/ story she has been working on that I happen to be mildly obsessed with! After I listend to her walk me through everything, I made it on the plane and seamlessly landed in Taiwan a few (more like 16 hours) later... Just kidding! Of course that didn't happen! I'm Kaitlyn Williams and   nothing can be that simple. Instead, as I waited in line to board my first flight in the Taiwan series, and while I was talking to a lovely couple (the husband being from California and the wife from Pakistan!),  I was stopped by the gentleman checking-in tickets, and was told I needed to step out of line and wait for him to let everyone else board (oh, and did I mention my flight was over two hours late due to the snow storm?). Finally, when he got back to me once again, he paged for what they call a "Red Coat," not even kidding (all I could think of was: "The British are coming! The British are coming!"), and had to have the R. Coat check my documents. Apparently, since I was flying internationally, they needed to look at my documentation (which the two airport employees I had previously talked to somehow failed to mention). The Coat proceeded to tell me that since I didn't have my visa, if it were up to him, he wouldn't let me fly, but luckily, since I was flying with China Airlines to Taiwan, I was their problem and they would have to deal with it. Then, to provide further comfort to my already sunny situation, he thought it would be beneficial for me to know that once I got to Sandiego, China Airlines might not let me board the plane to Taiwan. As hard as I tried to put the thought of my head, I couldn't help but think, "first you try to take away my country's freedom, and now you try to strip me of my ability to leave the country and all my happiness with it!" The name "Red Coat" was just all too fitting.  I finally managed to get on the plane, which was comprised of only one isle with two seats on either side, and tried to find my spot. When I came to it, I of course struggled to get the overhead compartment open, whacked the women across the isle with my bag (which she had no problem making known), and finally sat down--after making my seat-partner move--and began to cry! Long story short, the women next to me was a saint. She saw me crying, handed me a tissue, introduced herself as Renee, and proceeded to calm me down. Truly, she was a tender mercy of the Lord! I stopped crying, discussed some possible solutions with her (although she really just seemed as concerned as I was), and tried with all my might to fall asleep... which if you don't know, is practically impossible on a plane.

When I landed in San Francisco my first thought was "I want my mom!" with the next being "I want Nicole!" I proceeded to get ahold of both (my mom using the phone I brought to use as an alarm clock, and Nicole via the ever helpful facebook), and managed to gather myself. Having a six hour layover, I then straightened my hair in the bathroom, looked for something to eat (which no one bothered to tell me that eating at an airport is like eating at Disneyland, you feel the need to sell your kidney and right arm to afford the prices), and then finally managed to talk with a Chinese Airline employee. Luckily, when they checked me in for a second time, nothing seemed to go terribly wrong and I was able to make it my terminal! Despite the fact that a lot of the announcements were said in Chinese, a language I know about as much of as any other white American born and raised in West Jordan, Utah, I felt my tear ducts officially close and, to make this as corny as possible, the promise of adventure in the air.

Since this post is getting lengthy already, and since I love to leave my readers (if they have even made it this far) with a good cliff hanger, I'll finish the rest of my journey (hopefully) another night! Until then.

Yours Truly,
Kaitlyn Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment